Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Home Sleep Tests Offer Patients a New Alternative

A new and exciting trend in sleep testing is quickly gaining traction around the country: home sleep testing. Reimbursement for the home sleep test has only recently been approved, and more and more accredited sleep centers around the country are providing access to home sleep tests, as well as most major hospitals.

The home sleep test provides an excellent opportunity for sleep professionals to gauge a patient’s sleep tests needs from the comfort of their own home. It’s an excellent alternative to conducting a sleep test in a lab, a practice that many patients often find intimidating. It’s surprisingly simple, too.

First, the patient is given a brief questionnaire to determine if they’re at risk for a sleep disorder. If the patient’s results suggest they may have a sleep disorder, they’ll be given a lightweight and unobtrusive home sleep test device to take home and use overnight. This device records respiration, including both breathing and sleeping. The next morning, the patient returns the device to the sleep center, where experts download data from the unit’s memory card and prepare the results for the patient. If it’s determined that the patient does, in fact, suffer from a sleep disorder, more testing will be arranged.

Some common signs of sleep disorders include:

- Snoring
- Insomnia
- Brief periods of not breathing and/or choking or gasping during sleep
- Waking during sleep and restless sleep
- Excessive daytime sleepiness and falling asleep at inappropriate times
- Personality changes/disorders
- Depression
- Loss of concentration
- Morning headaches

If you believe you’re suffering from a sleep disorder, you should seek medical help from a physician or sleep expert immediately. There’s no need to fear a sleep test, especially with the new home sleep test option.

1 comment:

Oswald said...

Hi
My name is Oswald Abraham and here is my story about why we created this product.
I am one of the many thousands who suffer from a terrible snoring problem, after my initial diagnosis, I made it my mission to seek out a solution just so that I can sleep without stress or worry. My dilemma was how or where to find a suitable solution to my problem. Clinics everywhere have CPAP machine high on their agenda. From personal experience I know they are not designed for comfort on the contrary, it can be quite inconvenient, users need to adapt and of course become dependent forever on the machine. I found it very difficult to use.
Initially I tried many anti snoring pillows, but to no avail. This exercise became expensive and very frustrating. We soon realized the pillows that I had tried provided only a temporary solution to my problem because the pillows provided only minimal comfort to the head and neck.
We felt a good anti snoring pillow should be designed to provide comfort to the entire body, if the problem of snoring is going to be addressed.
My wife and I felt we needed to take a holistic approach to sleeping well, in comfort and a posture where there was no stress on the body. Initially we had nothing, so my wife and I tried stacking about five or six pillows in various shapes or forms on the mattress, only to realize in the morning, the pillows, or at least most of them would be on the floor. My frustration grew, but so did my persistence. We continued to do the same thing over and over again. This repetition of stacking pillows every night was the beginning of a new idea that began to grow and take shape. After two years of hard work, time and money, This anti snoring pillow became a reality.
I have used this pillow for about 14 months. It has reduced my snoring by about 80 to 90%. I have not had an apnoea episode (mild or serious) for the last 14 months. My wife is certainly happy about that. She too can now get a restful sleep.
This anti snoring pillow is classified as a medical device class 1 issued by the TGA in Australia
This anti snoring pillow is currently under review with a reputed anti snoring and sleep apnoea institution in Australia.
This anti snoring pillow is protected under International Application number PCT/AU2009/000179
This anti snoring pillow is available online, just click on the link below.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Have a great day!
Oswald Abraham
U SleepWell
http://www.u-sleepwell.com